The Northside church of Christ had it's beginnings in Hillsboro on February 5, 1950 on the third floor of the Farmers & Traders Bank building. Committed men such as Delbert Gilliland, Bob Smith, Carl Jacobs and others set out to start a local congregation patterned after New Testament teaching and practice. These men had one goal, to do Bible things in Bible ways, speaking where the Bible speaks and being silent where the Bible is silent. (1 Peter 4:11)
They met each Sunday at 10:00 a.m. for Bible Study, 10:45 a.m. for worship and 7:45 p.m. for evening worship. There was congregational non-instrumental singing, as taught in Ephesians 5:19, Lord's Supper, giving, prayers and preaching every first day of the week. (Acts 2:41, 20:7, 1 Corinthians 11:23-26). Walter W. Nichols was the first minister for the congregation.
The church continued faithfully to worship with their limited resources and a dealt with a lot of early hardships in the little room above the the bank. Early in 1954 a lot was purchased on the corner of South West and Park Avenue. The construction of a building began and worship soon took place in the building called Park Avenue church of Christ. Over the years, the congregation was blessed with some very knowledgeable young preachers, among them, Bill Pierce, Lloyd Barker, Ken Weliever, Stan Caldwell and Greg Litmer. They devoted their time to the Lord's teachings to speak only where the Bible speaks and being silent where the Bible is silent. (Revelation 22:18-21)
In 1976 the congregation was once again outgrowing their building and a lot was purchased on Greenfield Pike in Hillsboro. On February 5, 1977, twenty-three years later, the congregation moved to their present location being known as the Northside church of Christ. Bill Pierce presented the first sermon in this building.
The church has remained dedicated to faithfully worshipping and working according to the Word of God for 74 years now, resolved to being faithful until death and receiving the crown of life. (Revelation 2:10). Guillermo Alvarez is our current minister, he began working along side the saints here at Northside in January 2017.
We'd love for you and your family to become a part of our history!